Quick update before hitting the showers and heading for work… 😉
Been working most of last night and all of this morning in order to change the old existing graphics from real 3d models, to flat planes with images projected onto them…
In non-geek speak this basically means that the game will look the same on most, if not all computers. Rather than, as it were before, where some computers display fugly solid balls and other computers display fancy looking 3d shaded see through magikky looking sparkleballs of doom! 😉
Drawing the stuff didnt take that long… replacing… well… lets just say that the people who invented ‘Planning Ahead’ were on to something 😉
I should have planned ahead… but hey, its always easy to be clever in hindsight… or ‘backclever’ as we say in denglish where i come from (yeah, its an insider joke and will most likely only be caught by my danish readers… all ehm… 0 of you? 😛 )
Anyways 🙂 Here is a picture for those of you who are unable to actually pop into the game to see what I am talking about 🙂 Remember, this is just the beginning! More fancy schmancy changes to come! 😉
Yep! It took a while to get implemented, but finally, with a bit of help from a tutorial on serverside highscores and alot of help from a couple of friends as well as the admin who is in charge of hosting my game… Yay, its finally up and working 🙂
Also did a bunch of updates on maps and finetuned a few mechanics on the game.
So knock yourselves out, play the game and set a few records and put your name on the highscore list for all to see! ;D
Just got home from an extended weekend holiday… Brought my laptop and managed to get in a bit of production-time… Not going to make a big blogpost, but I did upload the work that I did on the holiday 🙂
Added a new level, a whole new menu system… the ability to press ESC during a level to access the menu… and stuff 😛
beware the red cloud on the 6th level.. it will suck the ball towards its center and kill it 😉
Also, dont forget to check out my game at wooglie and vote positive please 🙂
Today my game, Bump n Drop, was accepted by http://www.wooglie.com and now shows in the ‘In Development’ category on their website.
Hopefully this will allow me to reach a wider audience and get some much needed feedback as well 🙂
go here to play the game at Wooglie and support me by voting a + in the top right corner 🙂
also, check out the latest version 😉
I’ve added a brand spanking new combo system that rewards you for bumping into things rapidly in a short amount of time 🙂
and completely overhauled the graphics on some of the orbs, making them use shader 2.0 (geforceFX 7 cards and newer… so roughly, anything that is newer than 5 years old) and i think they look very smexy now 😉
and brand new sound effects have been added too… I bought a sound pack over at http://www.thegamecreators.com/ let me know what you think of the new updated sound effects, good or bad ? 🙂
Screenshot of the new graphics follows shortly! But i am impatient, so for now… just go play it and see for yourself!! 🙂
Not much of a blogpost, and most of these changes you’ve most likely already experienced first hand inside the game, as I have been working on the version 0.32 for the last week or so 😉 Anyways, better late than never, here are the patch notes and changes and upgrades for Bump n Drop version 0.32 🙂
- Sound added when ball drops out of the playing field.
- Sound added when level is cleared.
- First hostile/Semi-Hostile object added.. The Claw! Which actually looks more like a LEGO hand at the moment 😉
- Extra Life awarded when the ball hits the Free-Ball Bat at the bottom, and the player receives a free re-throw, rather than bouncing the ball again.
- Particle effect added to the Prismatics (Ooooh Shiny!!!)
- Particle effect added to the player/ball, it is now golden and looks fairy-dust…ish with a shimmering trail following the ball 😉
- Updated the appearance of the Super Bouncer, they are now shaded and look more spherical.
- Zoomer Bouncers have had their colour changed to orange (they are the ones that move horizontally) and add +500 points when hit.
- Floating Score text has been added. Whenever you score points on bouncing into objects, the game will display a floating score text that fades away after 1 second.
- Pause Button added to the game, it is currently assigned to the ‘P’ key.
- Sometimes when the Zoomer Bouncer gets hit by the ball when it is close to an object, it will expand and get stuck in the object. Leaving it unable to move until the object is removed.
If the ball gets stuck while bouncing on a Super Bouncer, it can sometimes get thrown out or inwards in relation to the playfield, effectively launching it outside the playing area, thus causing a lost life.
Yep, its more of that stuff 😛
I cannot praise iTween enough for its ease of use 🙂 In this update (version 0.31) I used it alot, I think some might say I used it TOO MUCH… but hey, its a fun toy, and yeah, i did overuse it a bit 😉
version 0.31 changes and bug-fixes:
- Added a whole new level, just for the heck of it, I squeezed it in between level 3 and 4… 😉
- Redid the code for the death/vanish sequence for the orbs. They now fade away and make a popping sound immediately upon collision with the ball. It gives a faster gameplay, I feel. (thanks iTween)
- The breakable orbs fade into view when the level starts, and will bounce outwards whenever they are hit by the ball. (thanks again iTween)
- Yellow Super Bouncers now give points (100 points for stationary, 200 points for moving ones). Also, when you hit a bouncer, it reacts by bouncing outwards and flashing in a white colour. (yeah, you guessed it… thanks iTween :p Seriously, this thing makes it so easy to do dynamic snazzy looking effects… )
- Added Sounds to the Super Bouncers and tweaked it a little bit as well. (these are temporary sounds and will of course be changed for the final release 😉 )
- Fixed a nasty bug that occured if you had only 1 life left when you hit the last Prismatic Orb (This would result in a game over, since your lives hit zero when the ball died… iTween didnt fix it though… I DID… but its gone now 😉 )
- Added persistant Score. You now carry your points over from level to level. It resets whenever you start a new game.
- High Score list… or… also known as: Highest Score list… since it only records 1 score.. yeah you guessed it… the highest score 😉 It will be expanded into a proper highscore list eventually though… 🙂
- Added a couple more names to the Credits list… If you want your name to be there, then play the game, find some bugs and stuff , and then message me and ill put your name on the list as a little Thank You for your much needed help 🙂
Until next time! Have fun all!
I started using iTween, a highly useful, while free, plugin/code addition to Unity. It basically allows someone like me, that doesnt have a great deal of experience with the more advanced type of programming… to add in some very nifty animations and movement or transformation effects to my games easily without building up a desire to murder anyone around me 😉
For my latest build I played around with iTween and used it to make the game logo bounce in place when you start the game and it also allowed me to quickly create a code that makes the score ingame shake whenever it becomes updated.
So yeah, I highly recommend this addition to Unity, as it can really shave off alot of time when delving a bit deeper in ones projects, and starting to add in polish and effects to the game.
In other news… iSlack!
Yep, been spending alot of time lately with real life, I even had a chance to get out in the sun!!! *gasp* but but… nerds dont do sun!
This nerd does 😉
Stay tuned for more… the near future brings:
- Save/Continue functions to the game.
- Hall of Fame (Thats what we called highscores back in ye olde days ;D ).
- Achievements! (Yeah, my plan is to add a couple of test-achievements to the game once I have the save/continue and the highscore system in place)
had an entire weekend spent sick in bed.. meh… but on a positive note, whenever I wasnt confined to bed, I would fiddle with the code at the computer and get some updates done on Bump n Drop.
Many of the following features/mechanics were added to the game with placeholder graphics and sounds, but it will still give a general idea as to what direction the game is headed.
- added title screen with a temporary game logo
- play button added to the title screen, along with a little sound effect when you click the button
- particle effects from the ball when it collides with an object. its a placeholder but will eventually be tweaked to look like sparks.
- sound effects galore!! or… well actually, only 3 different sound effects… but still… 😉
- added a whole new level… nothing fancy, and nothing permanent of course. 🙂
- cleaned up the code in multiple instances that handle collision and scoring.
- bug fix: no longer possible to need -1 or -2 Prismatics and then getting stuck permanently on the level.
Tons of other changes that I’ve probably missed along the way… I should probably start making notes WHILE doing changes, so that i have a proper, semi-professional looking changelog instead of sitting here for hours trying to remember which things i changed and which i didnt 😉
Anyways, until next time! have funz! :p
Fairly large update to the mechanics of Bump n Drop, not a whole lot of visual changes or anything else that would make you go: ooooh! 😉
Also, I’ve updated the link panel on the blog so that each game/demo has its own button, making it easier to access.
As for Bump n Drop… here is the list of changes in this version. 🙂
- Added a bounce-barrier to the top of the level to prevent the ball from flying out of the top of the level and causing the player to die.
- Tweaked the mechanics of the ball, making it move faster and bounce harder, making the gameplay a bit faster.
- Added Prismatics (currently shown as White Orbs). Currently there are 3 prismatic orbs on the map, and when you hit all 3 of them, the level completion has been fulfilled.
- Text Popup mechanic added, its currently only when you complete the level. But it will of course be updated/changed for later mechanics, such as announcing Combos, Game Over, Extra Lives, Special Trick Shots, and more thingies 😉
- Changed the colour of the barriers and walls.
- Added a Super Bouncer (the yellow thing), it gives the ball a larger push than the normal orbs, and doesnt disappear when hit.
- Changed number of lives/balls to 10, it will of course be changed later, just as the actual level design.